What are the various ways of hosting a WCF service?
There are four common ways, all of which are outlined nicely on MSDN: Hosting WCF Services.
- Hosting in IIS.
- Hosting in WAS.
- Hosting in a Windows service.
- Hosting in an application (aka “self-hosting”).
What is hosting in WCF service?
WCF service has to be hosted in a Windows process called host process. A single host process can host multiple servers and the same service type can be hosted in multiple host processes. You can host WCF service in different types of applications, like Console application, Windows form, etc. …
Where can a WCF service be hosted?
WCF services can be hosted in any managed application. This is the most flexible option because it requires the least infrastructure to deploy. You embed the code for the service inside the managed application code and then create and open an instance of the ServiceHost to make the service available.
Which type of hosting is supported by WCF?
There are three types of hosting environments for WCF services: IIS, WAS, and self-hosting. The term “self-hosting” refers to any application that provides its own code to initialize the hosting environment. This includes console, Windows Forms, WPF, and managed Windows services.
What are the features and advantage of WCF?
Advantages of WCF
WCF provides better reliability and security compared to ASMX Web services. In WCF, there is no need to make much of a change to code to use the security model and alter the binding. Small changes in the configuration file will match your requirements. WCF provides interoperability between services.
How do I activate and host WCF service?
To create a basic service hosted by WAS
- Define a service contract for the type of service. C# Copy. …
- Implement the service contract in a service class. Note that address or binding information is not specified inside the implementation of the service. …
- Create a Web. …
- Create a Service. …
- Place the Service.
How do I host a service?
To host the service, you add code to do the following steps:
- Create a URI for the base address.
- Create a class instance for hosting the service.
- Create a service endpoint.
- Enable metadata exchange.
- Open the service host to listen for incoming messages.
How do I host WCF on local machine?
In this article
- Ensure That IIS, ASP.NET and WCF Are Correctly Installed and Registered.
- Create a New IIS Application or Reuse an Existing ASP.NET Application.
- Create an .svc File for the WCF Service.
- Deploy the Service Implementation to the IIS Application.
- Configure the WCF Service.
- See also.
What is Windows Process Activation Service used for?
Windows Process Activation Service (WAS) is a tool for managing worker processes that contain applications that host Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) services. Worker processes handle requests that are sent to a Web Server for specific application pools.
What are the transport schemas does WCF supports?
WCF 1.0 supports the following transport schemas: HTTP. TCP. Peer network.
What is WCF and Web API?
WCF is used for developing SOAP-based services whereas Web API is used for both SOAP-based and RESTful services. … WCF supports HTTP, UDP, and custom transport protocol whereas Web API supports only HTTP protocol. WCF offers Text, MTOM, and Binary Encoding support whereas Web API supports the UTF-8 encoding format.
How do I run a WCF service locally?
To open WCF Test Client, open Developer Command Prompt for Visual Studio and execute WcfTestClient.exe. Select Add Service from the File menu. Type http://localhost:8080/hello into the address box and click OK. Make sure the service is running or else this step fails.
How do I create a WCF file?
Open Visual Studio.
- On the File menu, choose New > Project.
- In the New Project dialog box, expand the Visual Basic or Visual C# node and choose WCF, followed by WCF Service Library.
- Click OK to create the project.
What are contracts in WCF?
A WCF contract defines what a service does or what action a client can perform in the service. The contract is one of the elements of a WCF endpoint that contains information about the WCF service. … There are two type of contracts, one is Service Contracts, Data Contracts, Fault Contract and Message Contract.